Today I’m sharing an easy recipe for crunchy Rice Krispies bars that’s made with all my fall favorite ingredients – full of pecan butter, toasted pecans and molasses. Crispy, crunchy and sticky – these bars really are lovely!
Rice Krispies Treats. Should I say more? These chewy bars have been around forever, and let’s say it out loud, we all love them! These aren’t your regular rice Krispies bars, though, they’re a healthier take on the classic snack, and they’re crunchier too. The thing is, these two-biters are not what we would call healthy, but they can be with a few easy substitutions.
It all starts with Rice Krispies cereal, of course, and you can now find more natural puffed rice than Kellogg’s.
We’re also using butter, although not as much as what the traditional recipe calls for — I’m substituting some of it for pecan butter! I’m in love with that nutty, silken smooth spread, and you will too!
HERE ARE THE INGREDIENTS USED TO MAKE THIS
**I’ve linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link
- Rice Krispies Cereal - any flavor or variety of your choice
- Mini Marshmallows
- Coconut oil / Butter
- Chopped Pecans
- Pecan Butter – this stuff is creamy, dense and full of the toasted pecan flavor that reminds me of fall. I do love pecan butter for this one but use any nut butter you have in hand — almond butter, cashew butter, even peanut butter; they’ll all work nicely
More Recipes Using Pecans
How to Make
Pecan Pie Rice Krispies Treats
In a large saucepan, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Stir in pecan butter and mix until well combined. Add the mini marshmallows and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
Add the rice cereal and chopped pecans to the marshmallow mixture until they are well coated.
Pour the mixture into a greased (cooking spray works fine) pan and press down lightly so that the tops are smooth.
Let it cool for about an hour. Cut into squares, and drizzle with molasses if desired.
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- With natural flavoring / extracts. Feel free to add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I didn't feel like it was essential so I left it out in this recipe), or other flavorings or extracts, such as caramel flavoring, hazelnut extract or almond extract.
- Feel free to experiment on using different nut butter. You can use almond butter, walnut butter, cashew butter, mixed nut butter, or seed butter like sunflower or pumpkin seed butter.
How to Make this Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, seeds and old-fashioned oats to add texture and nutrition.
- Did you know that cinnamon, matcha and turmeric are all good sources of antioxidants? Add a teaspoon or two of some of these superfood powders to make this recipe even better!
How to Store
- You can store these pecan pie rice krispies treats covered at room temperature for up to 5 days. For longer storage, you can place them in a plastic freezer bag or airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or freeze up to 4 months.
- heat the pecan butter and marshmallows over low heat to ensure that they don't burn.
- You'll have to be a bit quick when mixing the rice krispies cereal with the marshmallow and pecan butter mixture, since it'll harden as it cools.
You Might Also Like these Fall Recipes
Healthier Pecan Pie Rice Krispies – 10 minute marshmallow treats
- Grease a glass loaf pan with cooking spray
- In a large saucepan, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Stir in pecan butter and mix until well combined.
- Add the mini marshmallows and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add the rice cereal and chopped pecans to the marshmallow mixture until they are well coated.
- Pour the mixture into a greased (cooking spray works fine) pan and press down lightly so that the tops are smooth.
- Let it cool for about an hour. Cut into squares, and drizzle with molasses if desired.