Who doesn't love caramel and whipped cream, much less together? Impress your guests and taste buds with this Caramel Whipped Cream Swirled with beautiful ribbons of caramel. The secret to making the beautiful swirl effect is lining the inside of a piping bag with caramel so that when you pipe the whipped cream onto your dessert, the caramel will create a beautiful swirl pattern in the cream as it's squeezed out through the nozzle.
Not only does it add an irresistible sweetness to your favorite dish, it can also be surprisingly easy to make at home!
Why I Love this Recipe
- Easy to make and only takes minutes to make
- Irresistible Flavor - the combination of caramel, vanilla, a pinch of salt and airy whipped cream creates a delightful fusion of sweetness that's hard to resist.
- So versatile - a versatile topping that can enhance any cake, pies and pastries
Ingredients Used to Make This Swirled Caramel Whipped Cream
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store or other online retailers. They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Heavy Cream - this is the main ingredient of whipped cream. When heavy cream is aerated (air is incorporated) it becomes a light and fluffy consistency that can be a delightful addition to cakes and desserts. For best results, choose heavy cream with a high fat content, ideally around 36-40%. Higher fat content contributes to a richer and creamier texture.
- Pure Vanilla Extract (optional) - this ingredient adds a touch of warm and aromatic flavors to your whipped cream, but not required. You can also use other extract of choice, such as almond extract, coffee extract or peppermint extract.
- Salt - a pinch added for a sweet and salty flavor
- Caramel Spread of Choice - such as Dulce de Leche. The caramel spread will take place of the sugar in this whipped cream recipe and also provides a deep, rich flavor. You'll also need extra for the caramel swirl effect (more info below!)
How do you create the swirl effect?
Creating a Caramel Swirl Whipped Cream effect involves adding caramel to the inside of a piping bag before filling it with whipped cream. When you pipe the whipped cream onto your dessert, the caramel will create a beautiful swirl pattern in the cream as it's squeezed out through the nozzle. This will result in an elegant and delicious Caramel Swirl Whipped Cream topping.
- Hand mixer or stand mixer - these tools will help you whip the cream efficiently. A hand mixer is easier for smaller batches (for whipping 2 cups of heavy cream or less), while a stand mixer is great for bigger ones.
- Piping Bag - If you plan to decorate desserts or pastries with your whipped cream, a piping bag will help you do exactly that. It provides precision and control when dispensing the cream onto your treats, allowing for beautiful and decorative designs. I used a disposable piping bag like this one.
- Piping Tip of choice - I used this Ateco 849 Closed Star Piping Tip.
Rich Caramel Swirl Whipped Cream Recipe Perfect for Coffee, Cakes and More
Make the Whipped Cream
- For best results, chill mixing bowl in the fridge for 15 minutes before whipping. Keep heavy cream cold in the fridge until then.
- Pour the cold heavy cream into the chilled mixing bowl. If you're using a stand mixer, use the whisk attachment. You can also use a hand mixer with beaters.
- Add vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp of caramel spread
- Add pinch of salt
- Begin whipping the cream at low speed, gradually increasing to high as it thickens.
- Do a quick taste test and add more sugar if you want it sweeter, and more salt if you want it to be more salty
- Whip the cream until it thickens and reaches stiff peaks, or until the beater starts to leave tracks in the cream (see pics)Note: Be careful not to over-whip, as it can turn into butter.
Prepare the Piping Bag
- Take your piping bag and fold down the top to form a cuff. Then, spoon a few tablespoons of the caramel into the piping bag. Note: depending on what brand of caramel you use, you may need to gently heat the caramel so that it is smooth and can be dripped down the bag.
- Afterward, fill the rest of the piping bag with your freshly prepared whipped cream.
- When you pipe the whipped cream onto your dessert, the caramel will create a beautiful swirl pattern in the cream as it's squeezed out through the nozzle.
- Use the freshly whipped cream to top your favorite desserts, such as cakes, pies, fruits, or hot beverages like coffee or hot chocolate.
How to Store
- If you have leftover whipped cream, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep well for 1-2 days. You may need to re-whip it for a few seconds to restore the desired consistency.
- Yields approximately 2 cups of whipped cream