You may have heard of Butter Pecan ice cream, but what about Pecan Butter Ice Cream? Made using frozen bananas, pecan butter, molasses and pecans, this healthy pecan butter ice cream is made all in the food processor and full of a toasted pecan and praline flavor that’s sure to be a hit with the whole family!
I am a huge fan of pecan pie in all forms, pecan pie cheesecake, pecan pie bars… you name it. And even though summer is over, I am bringing back my favorite summer dessert by bringing in the warm, nutty and cozy fall flavors of the pecan pie.
Made with a heaping spoon of pecan butter which is basically pecans that have been ground and blended into a thick paste, then molasses and more pecans to amp up the flavor and texture- I can say to my southern friends back home this is one good pecan pie they need to make for their next potluck.
Ingredients used to make Pecan Butter Ice Cream
**I’ve linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Bananas – best when ripe. The sweetest ones are yellow with brown spots.
- Pecan Butter – this stuff is creamy, dense and full of the toasted pecan flavor that reminds me of fall. I do love pecan butter for this one but use any nut butter you have in hand — almond butter, cashew butter, even peanut butter; they’ll all work nicely
More Pecan Recipes to Check Out
How to Make
How to Make Pecan Butter Ice Cream In the Food Processor
Slice and freeze bananas
Blend the frozen bananas and rest of the ingredients in a food processor or high-powered blender
Eat as soft serve or freeze
Swirl in some extra pecan butter and sprinkle on some chopped pecans on top for texture
Drizzle some more molasses on top. Enjoy!
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins for Pecan Butter Ice Cream:
- Chocolate pecan pie icecream– Just fold in some cocoa powder and chocolate chips to the icecream before freezing.
- Sweet and salty pecan pie ice cream – love salted caramel? Add a 1/2 teaspoon of coarse salt and 1 teaspoon of caramel flavoring or extract into the ingredients before blending
- Oatmeal pecan pie ice cream- Stir in 1/4 cup of quick oats Into the nicecream before freezing
- Pumpkin pecan pie– Add 1/4 cup of pumpkin purée with the bananas and rest of the ingredients before blending.
- Coffee flavored pecan pie – Add 1 tablespoon of instant coffee granules into then ice cream ingredients, blend and enjoy!
How to Make this Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, seeds and old-fashioned oats to add texture and nutrition before freezing.
- For a protein boost, you can also add a Tablespoon of protein powder of your choice when blending. I’ve tried using an unsweetened plant-based protein powder. You can also use chocolate protein powder
What are some ways you can eat these?
- In a bowl or cup, drizzled with honey, maple syrup, caramel or chocolate syrup
- Stacked on a waffle or sugar cone
How to Store
- This icecream is best eaten within 1-2 days. The longer it is left frozen the harder it’d be to scoop. For best icecream consistency, take container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins. If it’s in a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.
- Use ripened bananas for the best results!
- While a food processor will give you the best consistency for the icecream, you can also use a high-powered blender (such as Vitamix) that comes with a tamper. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades of the blender to ensure the best results.
More Ice Cream Recipes
Pecan Butter Ice Cream
- 3 medium bananas (about 300 grams)
- 3 Tbsp pecan butter
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup molasses, maple syrup or honey*
- Peel and slice the bananas to 1 inch slices
- Spread the banana slices on a parchment paper or inside a 1 gallon ziploc bag and freeze overnight (or until frozen solid)
- In a food processor or high-powered blender* blend frozen banana slices, pecan butter, pecans, and molasses together until smooth
- Serve immediately as a soft serve, or pour into a glass (pyrex) or metal loaf pan. Swirl in some extra pecan butter and sprinkle on some chopped pecans on top for texture.
- Cover with plastic wrap or lid and freeze**
- For best icecream consistency, take container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins. If it's in a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.