If you're like me and are always on the lookout for a healthy frozen treat, then this one is for you. This chocolate cherry nice cream is dairy free, gluten free, and vegan. The base of this ice cream is made with frozen bananas. It's also super easy to make!
The frozen bananas, when blended, provide a rich creamy texture while the cherries provide a nice tangy flavor. You can add in any kind of fruit that you want in place of the cherries if they are not available to you or if they don't fit your diet. There are endless variations possible with this recipe so go ahead and experiment!
Ingredients used to make this chocolate cherry nice cream recipe
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Bananas - best when ripe. The sweetest ones are yellow with brown spots.
- Almond milk of choice
- Dark Cocoa Powder – any kind works, but I like using the dark chocolate kind (like this one) for this recipe to give it that dark color.
- Fresh Cherries
- Mini Chocolate Chips
More Banana Recipes (HERE)
Step by Step Guide
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Nice Cream
Slice and freeze bananas. You can also freeze the bananas first, then slice them, which is what I did here.
Blend the frozen bananas, cocoa powder and milk of choice (I used almond milk) in a food processor or high-powered blender
Have a quick taste, and add sugar or sweetener if desired. You probably won't need it if you're using ripened bananas.
Stir in chopped cherries and chocolate chips
You can eat this nice cream as soft serve or freeze it in a freezer-safe container, such as pyrex glass containers. Top with more cherries and chocolate!
Freeze for about 5 hours, or overnight.
How to Make this Nice Cream Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, or seeds to add texture and nutrition before freezing.
- For a small protein boost, you can also add a tablespoon or two of protein powder of your choice when blending. I've tried using an unsweetened plant-based protein powder with good results.
What are some ways you can eat these?
- In a bowl or cup, drizzled with honey, maple syrup, caramel or chocolate syrup
- Stacked on a waffle or sugar cone
How to Store Chocolate Cherry nice cream
- This nice cream needs to be stored in the freezer and tastes best within a few days, but it can be frozen for up to 3 months. For the best nice cream consistency, take the container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins when you're ready to eat. If it's in a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.
- Use ripened bananas for the best results!
- While a food processor will give you the best consistency for the nice cream, you can also use a high-powered blender (such as Vitamix) that comes with a tamper. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades of the blender, and add 2-4 Tbsp of almond milk if needed.
Click (HERE) to See All of my Nice Cream Posts!
Chocolate Cherry Nice Cream Recipe
- Peel and freeze bananas until completely solid, about 8 hours
- Slice the frozen bananas to 1 inch slices
- In a food processor or high-powered blender with a tamper* blend frozen banana slices with cocoa powder and almond milk until smooth
- Do a quick taste test, and blend in sweetener if desired**
- Stir in the chopped cherries and chocolate
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to eat