Cookies and Cream is one of my favorite ice cream variations! Now let's try making it healthier 🙂
Here are all the reasons why I love this chocolate oreo nice cream
- no churn, made in the food processor or blender
- only 4 ingredients
- lower-calorie, lower fat, and healthier than the real oreo ice cream
- So easy to make and failproof
Ingredients used to make this chocolate oreo nice cream
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Bananas - best when ripe. The sweetest ones are yellow with brown spots.
- Stevia - I used stevia to lower calories, but you can use honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, or liquid stevia, You can also use granulated sugars, such as coconut sugar (be careful though, as it will change the color) or monk fruit sweetener.
- Cocoa Powder - any kind works, but I like using the dark chocolate kind (below). It gives a nice, darker color to the Oreo nice cream.
- Oreo cookies - crushed or chopped roughly for texture
More Banana Recipes (HERE)
How to Make
Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream
Slice and freeze bananas
Mix the cocoa powder with the liquid sweetener, then blend with the frozen bananas in a food processor or high-powered blender
You can stop here and eat as soft serve if you want
Otherwise, mix the crumbled Oreo cookies into the ice cream, then freeze for at least 5 hours.
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins for Chocolate Oreo Nice Cream
- Texture - Add some nuts, dried fruits or just fold in some chocolate chips to the ice cream before freezing.
- I love the addition of instant coffee granules. It goes perfectly with chocolate!
How to Make this Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, seeds and old-fashioned oats to add texture and nutrition before freezing.
- For a protein boost, you can also add a Tablespoon of protein powder of your choice when blending. I've tried using an unsweetened plant-based protein powder with good results.
What are some ways you can eat these?
- In a bowl or cup, drizzled with honey, maple syrup, caramel or chocolate syrup
- Stacked on a waffle or sugar cone
- Freeze the nice cream inside a popsicle mold!
How to Store
- This healthy oreo ice cream is best eaten within 1-2 days. The longer it is left frozen the harder it'd be to scoop. For best icecream consistency, take the container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins. If it's in a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.
More Healthy Nice Cream Recipes (HERE)
- Use ripened bananas for the best results!
- While a food processor will give you the best consistency for the banana icecream, you can also use a high-powered blender (such as Vitamix) that comes with a tamper. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades of the blender to ensure the best results.
Chocolate Oreo (Cookies & Cream) Nice Cream Recipe Made Using Bananas
- 3 medium bananas , about 300 grams
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder ,preferably dark cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp granulated or liquid sweetener of choice*
- 6 Oreo cookies , crumbled
- Peel and slice the bananas to 1 inch slices
- Spread the banana slices and strawberries inside a 1 gallon ziploc bag and freeze overnight (or until frozen solid)
- In a food processor or high-powered blender, blend frozen banana slices, cocoa powder and sweetener of choice together until smooth.
- Pour into a freezer safe container, like a pyrex glass container
- Stir in the crumbled Oreo pieces
- Serve immediately as a soft serve, or pour into a lidded container, preferably glass (like pyrex). Cover and freeze.
- For best icecream consistency, take container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins. If it's in a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.