Not your birthday? You can still celebrate with a whimsical twist on classic banana bread! This delightful Confetti Birthday Cake Banana Bread is a real treat that combines the comforting flavors of banana bread with the festive fun of rainbow confetti sprinkles.
Perfect for breakfast and dessert, this recipe does not require eggs or butter! The addition of almond flour and cornstarch is my secret for making a tender moist homemade bread without eggs or butter.
The surprise cream cheese filling adds a luscious layer of creaminess, while the simple crumble topping brings a satisfying crunch to every bite.
Ingredients Used to Make This Birthday Cake Banana Bread
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com. They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
Birthday Cake Banana Bread Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour - You can use any brand of All-Purpose Flour. I haven't tried this recipe with whole wheat flour, oat flour or other gluten-free flour blends, so substitute at your own risk!
- Almond Flour - Almond flour contributes to a softer, more tender texture in this banana bread recipe. Because it's naturally gluten-free, the almond flour helps reduce overmixing and minimizes gluten-formation in the bread.
- Cornstarch - the addition of cornstarch is NOT REQUIRED, but it acts as a binding agent (it's sometimes used as a vegan alternative to eggs) and makes a softer, more tender textured bread that retains more moisture. Fun fact: cornstarch is the main ingredient in pudding mixes 🙂
- Salt - any kind. I used Pink Himalayan Salt
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda - The combination of baking powder and baking soda offers the best of two worlds since baking powder is a better choice for providing an initial rise and lightness, while baking soda helps to enhance browning and create a deeper flavor profile in your baked goods.
- Sugar of choice – You can use any sugar you have at home, but if you want a low-sugar and low carb option, I recommend this monk fruit sweetener.
- Mashed Bananas - mash ripe, peeled bananas with a fork until it reaches a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Butter flavored Coconut Oil - Like this one. You can use regular coconut oil, but I like using this butter flavored coconut oil to boost the buttery flavor. You can also use light olive oil or avocado oil.
- Milk of Choice – I used unsweetened almond milk, but any milk (dairy or dairy free) works in this recipe.
Add In Ingredient
- Sprinkles - I like using the Wilton Rainbow Sprinkles for most of my recipes. Here's the link, below:
- 6 oz cream cheese of choice. Can be full fat or fat free. You can also use vegan cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
Banana Bread Add In & Filling Variations:
- Banana bread can be wonderfully versatile, and I've gathered some add in and filling ideas to take your baking to the next level. Here's the FULL POST
Crumble Topping Ingredients (optional)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp almond flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar of choice ,use monk fruit sweetener for low sugar option
- 1 Tbsp light olive oil ,or melted coconut oil
Step by Step Guide
How to Make Birthday Cake Banana Bread
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a standard loaf pan or line it with parchment paper for easy removal.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients
In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once. Stir gently until the batter comes together.
The batter will be thick, but if there are still dry ingredients remaining, you can add 1-2 Tbsp more almond milk.
Fold in the confetti sprinkles into the batter.
For the cream cheese filling, in a small bowl, mix together 6 oz cream cheese of choice and 2 Tbsp powdered sugar until smooth. Set aside half for the cream cheese frosting
Pour half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Spread the cream cheese filling evenly over the batter.
Add the remaining batter on top, making sure the filling is fully covered.
[OPTIONAL topping] In a small bowl, prepare the Simple Crumble Topping by mixing the all-purpose flour, almond flour, sugar, and light olive oil (or melted coconut oil) until crumbly.
Sprinkle the crumble topping over the top of the banana bread batter.
Bake the Birthday Cake Banana Bread in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Once cooled, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve as is, or decorate with your favorite frosting. I used this Vanilla Bean Greek Yogurt Frosting
For the cleanest slice, cool the banana bread completely in the fridge before serving. Enjoy!
How to Store Birthday Cake Banana Bread
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator to keep the cream cheese filling fresh.
- You can store any leftover banana bread covered at room temperature for up to 1 day. For longer storage, you can place them in a plastic freezer bag or airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 5-7 days, or freeze up to 4 months.
More Frosting & Glaze Ideas for Banana Bread
Get creative with these scrumptious glaze and frosting ideas to upgrade your banana bread to the next level! Here's a List of Topping Ideas to Try
- Use batter right away after prep. The batter will deflate over time, so I've found that you don’t want the batter sitting out on the counter for too long.
- Prevent Over-browning - Depending on your oven or where your bread is placed inside the oven, the top of your bread may start to brown. Check 40 minutes into baking to see if this is the case, and gently cover the top of the bread with aluminum foil. This helps prevent excessive browning while the bread continues to bake.
Confetti Birthday Cake Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 ½ cups mashed bananas (337g)
- ½ cup melted butter flavored coconut oil (112g), or light olive oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk (76g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup rainbow confetti sprinkles
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 6 oz cream cheese of choice full fat or reduced fat. You can also use vegan cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar , can also use regular sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a standard loaf pan or line it with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, cornstarch, almond flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. Ensure they are thoroughly combined.
- In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients: mashed bananas, melted coconut oil , almond milk, and vanilla extract. Stir until the mixture is smooth and well blended.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring gently to create a smooth batter.
- Gently fold in the rainbow confetti sprinkles until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the Cream Cheese Filling by combining the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pour half of the banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan. Spoon the Cream Cheese Filling over the batter, spreading it evenly. Top with the remaining banana bread batter.
- In a small bowl, prepare the Simple Crumble Topping by mixing the all-purpose flour, almond flour, sugar, and light olive oil (or melted coconut oil) until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the top of the banana bread batter.
- Bake the banana bread in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the loaf from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and enjoy!
- Note: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator to keep the cream cheese filling fresh.