I'd welcome a slice of apple pie any day, but if you're like me and you like apple pie with or without the pie crust, here's a 3 ingredient recipe to make apple pie topping on your stovetop, in just under 10 minutes!
How to Make
10 Minute Cooked Apple Pie Apples
Peel and slice granny smith apples into thin slices
Mix the apples with brown sugar and cinnamon
Cook mixture on stovetop for 5-10 minutes, until soft.
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- You don’t have to keep this plain. Add some nuts, dried fruits such as raisins to keep this apple pie filling interesting.
- Do you like Chai or Cardamom? Try adding a tsp of Cardamom Powder or Chai Tea Powder to the apples
- With natural flavoring / extracts. Feel free to add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I didn't feel like it was essential so I left it out in this recipe), or other flavorings or extracts, such as caramel flavoring, hazelnut extract or almond extract. You can also try adding orange peel
- You can also try using other sweeteners such as honey or maple syrup
What are some ways you can eat these?
- Use this apple pie filling to top pancakes, french toast, waffles and more!
- Eat it with icecream
- Add it to your next oatmeal or yogurt bowl
- You can even top it on a fall-themed salad (serve with dried cranberries, walnuts and spinach)
Here are some awesome ways to use my apple pie filling!
How to Store
- Place the cooked apples in a plastic freezer bag or airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze up to 4 months.
- Use granny smith apples for the best results!
10-Minute Healthy Apple Pie Topping
- 3 granny smith apples, sliced
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar, coconut sugar or date sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Peel and slice granny smith apples into thin slices
- Cook the sliced apples on stovetop with brown sugar and cinnamon for 5-10 minutes, until soft.