Here's a delightful treat for all the durian lovers out there – Sweet Durian Nice Cream! Made with just two ingredients, frozen bananas and durian, this vegan-friendly recipe is incredibly easy to make. Whether you're a durian aficionado or curious to try something new, this creamy and refreshing nice cream is sure to satisfy your cravings.
Why I love this Sweet Durian Nice Cream recipe
- Quick and easy to make.
- Healthier than traditional ice cream.
- Low calorie dessert
- Makes the best guilt-free treat!
Ingredients Used To Make Sweet Durian Nice Cream
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Bananas - We'll need frozen bananas to make nice cream. Simply peel and slice the bananas into chunks - then freeze until solid. Once frozen, the the banana chunks can be blended together to make nice cream. For the best flavor, use bananas that are ripe. The sweetest ones are yellow with brown spots!
- Durian (I used frozen)- Durian is a tropical fruit known for its unique taste and strong aroma. It is often used in dessert recipes for its rich and creamy texture, lending a distinct flavor to dessert recipes like this one. I used frozen durian for convenience, which you can find in the freezer section of Asian grocery stores.
How can frozen fruit mimic ice cream texture for nice cream?
Frozen fruit, especially bananas, can mimic the texture of ice cream in "nice cream" because they have a naturally creamy texture when blended, similar to soft serve ice cream. When bananas are frozen, the water inside them expands and creates tiny ice crystals. When blended, the ice crystals break down and create a smooth and creamy texture, similar to that of ice cream. Additionally, the natural sweetness of bananas means that no additional sugar is needed to make nice cream. This makes nice cream a healthier and lower calorie alternative to traditional ice cream, while still satisfying cravings for a sweet, creamy dessert.
More Banana Recipes (HERE)
Step by Step Guide
How to Make Sweet Durian Nice Cream
Slice and freeze bananas. You can also freeze the bananas first, then slice them, which is what I did here.
Blend the frozen bananas and the rest of the ingredients in a food processor or high-powered blender
Have a quick taste, and add more sweetener if desired.
You can eat this nice cream as soft serve or freeze it in a freezer-safe container, such as pyrex glass containers
Freezer for about 5 hours, or overnight.
How to Make this Nice Cream Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, or seeds to add texture and nutrition before freezing.
- For a small protein boost, you can also add a tablespoon or two of protein powder of your choice when blending. I've tried using an unsweetened plant-based protein powder with good results.
What are some ways you can eat these?
- In a bowl or cup, drizzled with honey, maple syrup, caramel or chocolate syrup
- Stacked on a waffle or sugar cone
How to Store Sweet Durian Nice Cream
- This nice cream needs to be stored in the freezer and tastes best within a few days, but it can be frozen for up to 3 months. For the best nice cream consistency, take the container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins when you're ready to eat. If it's in a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.
- Use ripened bananas for the best results!
- While a food processor will give you the best consistency for the nice cream, you can also use a high-powered blender (such as Vitamix) that comes with a tamper. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades of the blender, and add 2-4 Tbsp of almond milk if needed.
2 Ingredient Durian Nice Cream Recipe
- 300 g fully ripened bananas , 300g is equal to about 3 medium sized bananas peeled
- 100 g frozen durian , cut into chunks
- Peel and freeze ripened bananas until completely solid, about 8 hours
- Slice the frozen bananas to 1 inch slices
- In a food processor or high-powered blender with a tamper* blend frozen banana slices with frozen durian chunks until smooth
- Do a quick taste test, and blend in sweetener such as honey or agave syrup if desired**
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to eat