Here's a secretly healthy & homemade PB FIt Peanut Butter Cups Recipe that can be prepped in just a few minutes with only 4 ingredients and without any sugar. Defatted peanut butter powder (like PB Fit and PB 2), mashed bananas, instant coffee and chocolate.
The mashed bananas and the peanut butter powder and mixed together to form a creamy sweet paste that goes inside the homemade peanut butter cups. The instant coffee powder is there to just add flavor, but trust me, the bitter, complex flavor works perfectly with these chocolate treats.
If banana isn't your thing, you can easily substitute the mashed bananas with cooked sweet potato, applesauce or pumpkin purée. I’ve listed more variations of this recipe in this post, so check it out below!
Here's why I love this recipe
- easy to prepare
- only 4 ingredients
- sugar free
Ingredients used to make Sugar Free PB Fit Peanut Butter Cups
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Peanut Butter Powder - PB powder is made by removing most of the oil from roasted peanuts and grinding them into a fine powder, resulting in a low-fat, high-protein alternative to traditional peanut butter. You can use brands like PB Fit, or PB2. I used a Sugar Free PB FIt powder for this recipe
- Mashed Bananas - preferably ripe. You can also use other purees such as pumpkin, applesauce or sweet potato.
- Instant Coffee Granules - optional, but definitely recommend adding this for extra flavor
- Chocolate Chips - you can use any chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate) in this recipe. I like this lower sugar, stevia-sweetened brand. If you want, you can also use unsweetened chocolate.
- Muffin Cup Liners - any kind will do, but I used these silicone ones which makes it easier to remove these reeses treats once the chocolate sets. You can still use the paper liners with the same results!
More Powdered Peanut Butter Recipes
Step by Step Guide
How to Make Sugar Free PB Fit Peanut Butter Cups
Mix powdered peanut butter, mashed bananas and instant coffee granules together.
Check the consistency while mixing. For a creamier peanut butter filling, add more mashed bananas. For a thicker, fudgy texture, add more peanut butter powder.
Fill a piping bag with the peanut butter filling mixture. Set aside
In a microwave safe glass bowl, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 20 second bursts until melted, stirring in between.
Spoon a tablespoon of the melted chocolate into the bottom of a muffin cup liner (I used silicone muffin cups for easy removal, but the paper cups also work).
Pipe a bit of the peanut butter filling into the center of the muffin cups
Top the muffin cups with more chocolate, then wait for the chocolate to set.
Remove from the muffin liners
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- You can use other fruit purees instead of applesauce. Try mashed cooked sweet potato, or applesauce. You can also add more texture and flavor to the filling by adding nuts, seeds or flavorings.
- Below is my PB Powder Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter Cup (recipe here)
- If you’re allergic to peanuts you can also use almond butter powder instead here is one brand I like to use. I’ve used it before to make my vegan 2-ingredient almond butter frosting!
- Also, feel free to experiment with natural flavoring / extracts. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I didn't feel like it was essential so I left it out in this recipe), or other flavorings or extracts, such as almond extract
Just keep in mind that some extracts contain alcohol, and since this is a no-bake recipe, the alcohol won't have a chance to fully evaporate. If serving this to kids, or if you're sensitive to alcohol, be sure to use non-alcoholic extracts or flavorings. Here are some non-alcoholic brands, here: non-alcoholic vanilla extract
How to Make this Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, seeds and old-fashioned oats to add texture and nutrition. Even better, add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed, hemp seeds, or chia seeds.
What Can You Do with Leftover Melted Chocolate?
It's always a good idea to melt a little more chocolate than you need so that you can ensure proper coating, but what do you do with the leftover melted chocolate? Melted chocolate hardens in cold water, so it makes it a pain to clean if there's a lot left over. Here's what I do when that happens. Stir in chopped nuts or seeds to make nut/seed clusters! All you have to do afterward is drop spoonfuls of this chocolate-nut-seed mixture and let it harden. It's one of my favorite snacks to eat when I'm craving something unhealthy but feeling deserving of something indulgent 🙂
How to Store Sugar Free PB Fit Peanut Butter Cups
- Store these Healthy PB Fit Reeses Cups covered in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
- You can also freeze them in an air-tight container or freezer bag. They’ll be will be good for up to three months.
Sugar Free PB Fit Peanut Butter Cups
- ½ cup powdered peanut butter* such as PB Fit or PB2
- ¼ cup mashed bananas** see notes for subs
- ½ tsp instant coffee granules , optional
- ½ cup chocolate chips melted
- Mix powdered peanut butter, mashed bananas and instant coffee granules together.Check the consistency while mixing. For a creamier peanut butter filling, add more mashed bananas. For a thicker, fudgy texture, add more peanut butter powder.
- Fill a piping bag with the peanut butter filling mixture. Set aside
- In a microwave safe glass bowl, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 20 second bursts until melted, stirring in between.
- Spoon a tablespoon of the melted chocolate into the bottom of a muffin cup liner (I used silicone muffin cups for easy removal, but the paper cups also work).
- Pipe a bit of the peanut butter filling into the center of the muffin cups
- Top the muffin cups with more chocolate, then wait for the chocolate to set.
- Remove from the muffin liners. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply