Here’s an easy, healthier Nutella Nice Cream recipe that's all prepared in the food processor and requires just 2 ingredients. Creamy and thick, and with the nuttiness that comes from Nutiva, the lower sugar chocolate hazelnut spread that I used in my recipe, this delicious and chocolatey frozen treat only takes a few minutes to whip up in the food processor. Did I mention it's also dairy-free and vegan friendly?
What is Nice Cream?
Nice Cream is a kind of healthy, alternative ice cream that uses more wholesome ingredients such as frozen bananas as the primary ingredient. Nice cream is also "nice" in that it’s no-churn. That’s because when frozen and blended in the food processor, the tropical fruit’s thick consistency tastes and feels like a creamy scoop of ice cream.
Here are all the reasons why I love this Nutella nice cream:
- no churn, made in the food processor or a high-power blender
- only 2 ingredients
- low calorie, low fat, and healthy
Scroll down for the step by step guide to making this Healthier Nutella Nice Cream
Ingredients used to make this healthier nutella nice cream recipe
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Bananas - best when ripe. The sweetest ones are yellow with brown spots.
- Chocolate Hazelnut Spread– You can use whatever chocolate hazelnut spread you have on hand, such as Nutella, but you can also use Nutiva which is has a lower sugar content than other traditional chocolate hazelnut spreads.
More Banana Recipes (HERE)
Step by Step Guide
How to Make Homemade Nutella Nice Cream
Slice and freeze bananas. You can also freeze the bananas first, then slice them, which is what I did here.
Blend the frozen bananas and the chocolate hazelnut spread in a food processor or high-powered blender
Have a quick taste, and add more sweetener if desired.
You can eat this nice cream as soft serve or freeze it in a freezer-safe container, such as pyrex glass containers, for about 5 hours. Enjoy!
Drizzle with more hazelnut chocolate spread. Enjoy!
How to Make this Nutella Nice Cream Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, or seeds to add texture and nutrition before freezing.
- For a small protein boost, you can also add a tablespoon or two of protein powder of your choice when blending. I've tried using an unsweetened plant-based protein powder with good results.
What are some ways you can eat Nutella Nice Cream?
- In a bowl or cup, drizzled with honey, maple syrup, caramel or chocolate syrup
- Stacked on a waffle or sugar cone
How to Store Nutella Nice Cream
- This nice cream needs to be stored in the freezer and tastes best within a few days, but it can be frozen for up to 3 months. For the best nice cream consistency, take the container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins when you're ready to eat. If it's in a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.
- Use ripened bananas for the best results!
- While a food processor will give you the best consistency for the nice cream, you can also use a high-powered blender (such as Vitamix) that comes with a tamper. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades of the blender, and add 2-4 Tbsp of almond milk if needed.
More Healthy Ice Cream / Nice Cream Recipes (HERE)
2-Ingredient Healthy Nutella Nice Cream Recipe
- 4 medium bananas , about 450 grams
- ⅓ cup chocolate hazelnut spread of choice , such as Nutiva or Nutella
- Peel and freeze bananas until completely solid, about 8 hours
- Slice the frozen bananas to 1 inch slices
- In a food processor or high-powered blender with a tamper* blend frozen banana slices and the chocolate hazelnut spread until smooth.
- Eat immediately as soft serve, or freeze in an airtight container for 6-8 hours until compelely frozen.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup for deco. To make your own, you can also mix 1 tsp of chocolate hazelnut spread with 1 Tbsp of hot water.