Here’s a recipe for a healthy, all-natural blueberry nice cream that’s not only low carb but also gluten-, dairy-, and egg-free. Tart and sweet, this blueberry nice cream is made using just 3 wholesome ingredients, all in the food processor. Making ice cream with this method is also insanely easy, and the result is delicious!
So, here’s the deal. Having a frozen treat in the freezer for whenever you’re craving something sweet is vital, but that’s also when we stir towards unhealthy snacks and sweets. What if you had a pint of guilt-free ice cream in the fridge instead?
To make blueberry nice cream, you’ll need to freeze a few bananas. You’ll also need frozen blueberries (or any berry, for that matter.) You’ll also need your preferred sweetener, and yes, zero-calorie sweeteners work nicely. It all comes together in the food processor or blender for a smooth frozen dessert flavored and sweetened by fruit and not artificial stuff.
And here’s a tip: blend a few scoops of your new favorite frozen treat with almond or coconut milk for an instant smoothie. For an easy ice cream recipe and a quick frozen delight for any time of day, this blueberry nice cream has you covered.
Ingredients used to make this banana blueberry nice cream
**I’ve linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Bananas – best when ripe. The sweetest ones are yellow with brown spots.
- Maple Syrup or Honey – you can use honey for this recipe but for vegan options, you’re welcome to use other sweeteners of choice like maple syrup, agave syrup, or liquid stevia. You can also use granulated sugars, such as coconut sugar (be careful though, as it will change the color) or monk fruit sweetener.
- Blueberries – frozen blueberries work best for this recipe.
More Berry Based Recipes (HERE)
Step by Step Guide
How to Make Blueberry nice cream using bananas
Slice and freeze bananas. You can also freeze the bananas first, then slice, which is what I did here.
Blend the frozen bananas and rest of the ingredients in a food processor or high-powered blender
Have a quick taste, and add more sweetener if desired.
You can eat as soft serve or freeze in a freezer-safe container, such as pyrex glass containers
Freezer for about 5 hours, or overnight.
Enjoy! I like to serve this nice cream with fresh blueberries
How to Make this Nice Cream Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, seeds and old-fashioned oats to add texture and nutrition before freezing.
- For a protein boost, you can also add a tablespoon or two of protein powder of your choice when blending. I’ve tried using an unsweetened plant-based protein powder with good results.
What are some ways you can eat these?
- In a bowl or cup, drizzled with honey, maple syrup, caramel or chocolate syrup
- Stacked on a waffle or sugar cone
How to Store
- This blueberry nice cream tastes best within a few days, but can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. For the best nice cream consistency, take the container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins. If it’s in a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.
- Use ripened bananas for the best results!
- While a food processor will give you the best consistency for the blueberry nice cream, you can also use a high-powered blender (such as Vitamix) that comes with a tamper. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades of the blender to ensure the best results.
More Healthy Ice Cream / Nice Cream Recipes (HERE)
3-Ingredient Blueberry Nice Cream Recipe Using Bananas
- 3 medium bananas , about 300 grams
- 1/2 cup blueberries, frozen , or up to 100 grams
- 3 Tbsp granulated or liquid sweetener of choice*
- Peel and slice the bananas to 1 inch slices
- Spread the banana slices and blueberries inside a 1 gallon ziploc bag and freeze overnight (or until frozen solid)
- In a food processor or high-powered blender, blend frozen banana slices and the rest of the ingredients together until smooth
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to eat