Hey everyone! My post for the white bean paste cookies original post here has been so popular, I’ve decided to come up with a few new ways to make and enjoy this recipe. Here’s one variation: Strawberry & White Chocolate Bean Paste Cookies
Ingredients Used to Make This
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Sweetened White Bean Paste (a.k.a. Shiro An): I eat this stuff by spoonfuls! It's a versatile ingredient that goes inside my sweet rice mochi recipe as well my tofu mochi recipe, but it's also used as fillings inside sweet breads, pancakes, cookies and more. While some asian grocery stores carry them, I usually buy them in bulk directly from a Korean bakery. You can also find Sweetened White Bean paste online (just look up Shiro An on Amazon). Or make your own. I recommend this recipe from Just One Cookbook.
- Egg yolk - the traditional recipe uses egg yolks as a binder for these cookies, and is not vegan. You could try using egg substitutes like flaxseeds and chia, but I haven't tried using them so I can't say much on whether they work.
**Vegan option: You can sub 1 egg yolk with 1 Tbsp of tapioca flour in this recipe**
- Milk - milk of your choice. I used almond milk since that was what I had at home.
- Honey - honey is what I used, but good substitutes include brown rice syrup, maple syrup or agave syrup.
- Coconut Flour - be sure to read the recipe note for substituting this ingredient!
- Pink Gel food coloring
- Strawberry extract
- Dehydrated Strawberry pieces
- Sesame seeds
- Melted white chocolate chips - I used regular white chocolate chips, but you can also use white candy melts or almond bark. I also like using this stevia sweetened brand since it's lower-carb/lower sugar diet-friendly
Ateco 869 Pastry Tube - French Star - Size 9
How to Make
How to Make Strawberry White Bean Paste Cookies
In a clean bowl, mix sweetened white bean paste with egg yolk, milk, honey and coconut flour.
Add pink gel food coloring. Use a toothpick to dab just a drop or two of food coloring into the batter so you don't over-color. Mix together until smooth
Prepare a piping bag with a French Star shaped piping tip (I used Ateco 869 size 9)
Pipe small dollops of the cookie dough onto a parchment lined cookie pan. To create a shell shape, squeeze the batter into the pan while pulling the bag towards you. Pull the tip along the surface to form a point.
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- You can color the cookie batter to whatever color you like before piping if you don't have pink.
- Add natural flavoring / extracts. You can add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I didn't feel like it was essential so I left it out in this recipe), or other flavorings or extracts, such as almond extract.
How to Store
- You can store these cookies in an airtight container - in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze up to 4 months.
More Recipes You Will Love
Strawberry & White Chocolate Bean Paste Cookies
- In a clean bowl, mix sweetened white bean paste with egg yolk, milk, honey, coconut flour and strawberry flavoring/ extract.
- Add pink gel food coloring. Use a toothpick to dab just a drop or two of food coloring into the batter so you don't over-color. Mix together until smooth
- Prepare a piping bag with a French Star shaped piping tip (I used Ateco 869 size 9)
- Pipe small dollops of the cookie dough onto a parchment lined cookie pan. To create a shell shape, squeeze the batter into the pan while pulling the bag towards you. Pull the tip along the surface to form a point.
- Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are slightly golden.
- Carefully remove the cookies when cool enough to handle.
- melt white chocolate chips in the microwave in 20 second bursts until melted, stirring in between. Dip the cookies into the chocolate and then set them on a clean parchment paper
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and dehydrated strawberry pieces. Wiat until the chocolate hardens before serving. Enjoy!