If you’ve ever had a chance to try chickpea cookie dough you probably know that cooked chickpeas are a surprisingly yummy substitute for actual cookie dough. Well, it turns out that chickpea is also a great add in for ice cream recipes, too. Here’s an easy homemade 6-ingredient chickpea cookie dough nice cream recipe that’s made in the food processor (as in, no ice cream maker required!)
This nutty slightly earthy-tasting chickpea cookie dough nice cream is high fiber, lower calorie and also vegan friendly. And yes, you are allowed to eat a huge spoonful right from the bowl!
Ingredients used to make this Chickpea Cookie Dough Nice Cream Recipe
**I’ve linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Bananas – best when ripe. The sweetest ones are yellow with brown spots.
- Maple Syrup or Honey – you can use honey for this recipe but for vegan options, you’re welcome to use other sweeteners of choice like maple syrup, agave syrup, or liquid stevia. You can also use granulated sugars, such as coconut sugar (be careful though, as it will change the color) or monk fruit sweetener.
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) – I used canned chickpeas, which I drained and rinsed with water. You can also cook chickpeas at home.
- Vanilla Extract – for the best cookie dough flavor
- Cashew Butter – like this one. I like cashew butter for its mild, buttery flavor and creamy texture. It’s perfect for this recipe, but you’re free to use other natural nut butters like almond butter, pecan butter, walnut butter, cashew butter, mixed nut butter, or even seed butter like sunflower. So many choices!
- Chocolate Chips – you can use any chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate) in this recipe. I like this lower sugar, stevia-sweetened brand. If you want, you can also use unsweetened chocolate.
More Banana Recipes (HERE)
Step by Step Guide
How to Make Chickpea Cookie Dough Nice Cream
Slice and freeze bananas. You can also freeze the bananas first, then slice them, which is what I did here.
Blend the frozen bananas and the rest of the ingredients (minus the chocolate chips) in a food processor or high-powered blender
Have a quick taste, and add more sweetener if desired.
Add the chocolate chips last
Freeze for about 5 hours, or overnight. Enjoy!
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, or seeds to add texture and nutrition before freezing.
- For a small protein boost, you can also add a tablespoon or two of protein powder of your choice when blending. I’ve tried using an unsweetened plant-based protein powder with good results.
What are some ways you can eat these?
- In a bowl or cup, drizzled with honey, maple syrup, caramel or chocolate syrup
- Stacked on a waffle or sugar cone
How to Store Chickpea CookieDough Nice Cream
- This nice cream needs to be stored in the freezer and tastes best within a few days, but it can be frozen for up to 3 months. For the best nice cream consistency, take the container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins when you’re ready to eat. If it’s in a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.
- Use ripened bananas for the best results!
- While a food processor will give you the best consistency for the nice cream, you can also use a high-powered blender (such as Vitamix) that comes with a tamper. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades of the blender, and add 2-4 Tbsp of almond milk if needed.
More Healthy Ice Cream / Nice Cream Recipes (HERE)
Chickpea Cookie Dough Nice Cream Recipe
- 5 medium bananas , about 580 grams
- 1 can canned chickpeas , drained and rinsed with water
- 1/4 cup cashew, peanut or almond butter
- 1/4 cup liquid sweetener of choice , such as honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate , or chocolate chips
- Peel and freeze bananas until completely solid, about 8 hours
- Slice the frozen bananas to 1 inch slices
- In a food processor or high-powered blender with a tamper* blend frozen banana slices with chickpeas, cashew butter, sweetener, vanilla extract until smooth
- Do a quick taste test, and blend in additional sweetener if desired**
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to eat
Leave a Reply