This easy bubble tea ice cream is anything but boring! Creamy and sweet, with the added bubble topping, this easy and healthy ice cream recipe uses frozen bananas as the base, and all you’ll need is a couple more ingredients, one food processor and ten minutes to make this healthier ice cream that is sure to be a total winner with your family.
Ingredients used to make this homemade bubble milk tea ice cream
**I’ve linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Bananas – best when ripe. The sweetest ones are yellow with brown spots.
- Black Tea Powder – I used the Lipton decaffeinated brand, below
- Sweetened Condensed (Coconut) Milk – If you love milk tea, I bet you already know that the best tasting milk teas are sweetened with Sweetened Condensed Milk. The addition of condensed milk adds a richness and subtle creaminess to the beverage, and does the same for this ice cream recipe! To keep it vegan, we can use this dairy-free Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk, which you can buy online, below
- If you don’t have any sweetened condensed milk, you’re welcome to use honey or agave syrup instead.
- Boba “Bubbles” – I used crystal boba bubbles, which are made from konjac, and do not need to be cooked (they’re also lower in calories, too!). But since the boba bubbles are only used as a topping in this recipe, you can also use any kind or brand of boba bubbles you have.
More Banana Recipes (HERE)
Step by Step Guide
How to Make Boba / Bubble Tea Ice Cream
Slice and freeze bananas. You can also freeze the bananas first, then slice them, which is what I did here.
Blend the frozen bananas and the rest of the ingredients in a food processor or high-powered blender
Have a quick taste, and add more sweetener if desired.
You can eat this ice cream as soft serve or freeze it in a freezer-safe container, such as pyrex glass containers
Freezer for about 5 hours, or overnight.
How to Make this Ice Cream Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, or seeds to add texture and nutrition before freezing.
- For a small protein boost, you can also add a tablespoon or two of protein powder of your choice when blending. I’ve tried using an unsweetened plant-based protein powder with good results.
What are some ways you can eat these?
- In a bowl or cup, drizzled with honey, maple syrup, caramel or chocolate syrup
- Stacked on a waffle or sugar cone
How to Store Bubble Tea Ice Cream
- This ice cream needs to be stored in the freezer and tastes best within a few days, but it can be frozen for up to 3 months. For the best ice cream consistency, take the container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins when you’re ready to eat. If it’s in a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.
- The crystal boba / bubbles should be stored in the fridge, separate from the ice cream.
- Use ripened bananas for the best results!
- While a food processor will give you the best consistency for the ice cream, you can also use a high-powered blender (such as Vitamix) that comes with a tamper. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades of the blender, and add 2-4 Tbsp of almond milk if needed.
Click (HERE) to See All of my Ice Cream Posts!
Healthy Bubble Tea Nice Cream Recipe
- 3 medium bananas , about 300 grams sliced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened tea powder
- 3-4 Tbsp sweetened condensed coconut milk , or sweetener of choice
- 1/4 cup prepared "boba" bubbles
- Peel and freeze bananas until completely solid, about 8 hours
- Slice the frozen bananas to 1 inch slices
- In a food processor or high-powered blender with a tamper* blend frozen banana slices with unsweetened tea powder and sweetener until smooth
- Do a quick taste test, and blend in more sweetener if desired**
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to eat
- Sprinkle with boba bubbles