I love classic ice cream flavors like vanilla, strawberry and chocolate, but I'm always aching for new and creative flavors like this one, the purple sweet potato ice cream! It's sweet, it's healthy, it's cold and fudgy--here is one ice cream recipe that you can make any time and feel great about eating.
Here are all the reasons why I love this purple sweet potato icecream
- no churn, made in the food processor or blender
- only 3 ingredients
- low calorie, low fat, and healthy
- has a beautiful purple color
Ingredients used to make this healthy purple sweet potato icecream
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Bananas - best when ripe. The sweetest ones are yellow with brown spots.
- Stevia - In order to keep this low in calories, I used stevia. You can also use other low calorie sweeteners. Another option is to add 1 Tbsp of honey for this recipe or other liquid sweeteners of choice like maple syrup, agave syrup, or liquid stevia
- Purple Sweet Potato – Purple sweet potato can be found in most asian grocery stores. The easiest way I know how to cook sweet potatoes is to microwave them on high for 6-7 minutes (or more depending on the size of the potato). Afterward, I mash it with a fork.
How to Make
Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream
Slice and freeze bananas
Blend the frozen bananas and rest of the ingredients in a food processor or high-powered blender
Eat as soft serve or freeze
Scoop and enjoy!
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins for Nicecream:
- Texture - Add some nuts, dried fruits or just fold in some chocolate chips to the Nicecream before freezing.
- Instead of Purple Sweet Potato, try regular (orange) sweet pototo or pumpkin puree instead! Don't forget to add an extra teaspoon of cinnamon for extra flavor!
How to Make this Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, seeds and old-fashioned oats to add texture and nutrition before freezing.
- For a protein boost, you can also add a Tablespoon of protein powder of your choice when blending. I've tried using an unsweetened plant-based protein powder with good results.
More Recipes Using Sweet Potato
What are some ways you can eat these?
- In a bowl or cup, drizzled with honey, maple syrup, caramel or chocolate syrup
- Stacked on a waffle or sugar cone
How to Store
- This sweet potato icecream is best eaten within 1-2 days. The longer it is left frozen the harder it'd be to scoop. For best icecream consistency, take container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins. If it's in a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.
- Use ripened bananas for the best results!
- While a food processor will give you the best consistency for the nicecream, you can also use a high-powered blender (such as Vitamix) that comes with a tamper. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades of the blender to ensure the best results.
More Ice Cream Recipes
No Churn Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- 3 medium bananas , about 300 grams
- ⅔ cup cooked purple sweet potato , or up to 100 grams
- 3 Tbsp granulated or liquid sweetener of choice*
- Peel and slice the bananas to 1 inch slices
- Spread the banana slices on a parchment paper or inside a 1 gallon ziploc bag and freeze overnight (or until frozen solid)
- In a food processor or high-powered blender, blend frozen banana slices, and the rest of the ingredients together until smooth
- Serve immediately as a soft serve, or pour into a lidded container, preferably glass or microwaveable. Cover with plastic wrap or lid and freeze.
- For best icecream consistency, take container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins. If it's a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.