Just 4 ingredients are all you need to make these fudgy & sweet Nutella chocolate avocado ice cream: ripe avocados, frozen bananas, Nutella and cocoa powder. The ripe avocados give this ice cream a silky creamy mouthfeel, while the frozen bananas provide the thick scoopable texture of real ice cream. Blend it up in a food processor and once it’s frozen, it’s done! That rich and nutty flavor of Nutella is so good, you might even forget that it’s healthy!
Ingredients used to make Nutella Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
**I’ve linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Bananas – best when ripe. The sweetest ones are yellow with brown spots.
- Avocados – ripe/soft avocados will give you the best texture on this ice cream
- Chocolate Hazelnut Spread– You can use whatever chocolate hazelnut spread you have on hand, such as Nutella. Nutiva is also a great alternative, since it has a lower sugar content than other traditional chocolate hazelnut spreads.
- Dark Cocoa Powder – any kind works, but I like using the dark chocolate kind (like this one) for this recipe.
More Banana Recipes (HERE)
Step by Step Guide
How to Make Nutella Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
Slice and freeze bananas. You can also freeze the bananas first, then slice them instead
Blend the frozen bananas and the rest of the ingredients in a food processor or high-powered blender
Have a quick taste, and add more sweetener if desired. Depending on the ripeness of the avocados, you may need to add 1-2 Tbsp of almond milk to help the food processor blend everything together.
You can eat this ice cream as soft serve or freeze it in a freezer-safe container, such as pyrex glass containers
Freezer for about 5 hours, or overnight. Enjoy!
How to Make this Ice Cream Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, or seeds to add texture and nutrition before freezing.
- For a small protein boost, you can also add a tablespoon or two of protein powder of your choice when blending. I’ve tried using an unsweetened plant-based protein powder with good results.
What are some ways you can eat Nutella Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream?
- In a bowl or cup, sprinkled with some chocolate chips
- Stacked on a waffle or sugar cone
How to Store Nutella Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
- This Nutella Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream needs to be stored in the freezer and tastes best within a few days, but it can be frozen for up to 3 months. For the best ice cream consistency, take the container out of the freezer and let sit out at room temperature for 10 mins when you’re ready to eat. If it’s in a microwaveable container, you can also microwave it for 15 seconds until softened.
- Use ripened bananas for the best results!
- While a food processor will give you the best consistency for the ice cream, you can also use a high-powered blender (such as Vitamix) that comes with a tamper. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades of the blender, and add 2-4 Tbsp of almond milk if needed.
More Healthy Ice Cream / Nice Cream Recipes (HERE)
Nutella Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
- Peel and freeze bananas until completely solid, about 8 hours
- Slice the frozen bananas to 1 inch slices
- In a food processor or high-powered blender with a tamper* blend frozen banana slices with avocado, cocoa powder and nutella until smooth
- Do a quick taste test, and blend in additional sweetener if desired**
- Stir in add ins
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to eat