Hey everyone! My post for the white bean paste cookies original post here has been so popular, I’ve decided to come up with a few new ways to make and enjoy this recipe. Here’s one variation: a VEGAN Korean Red Bean Paste Cookies.
The secret to making this vegan is tapioca flour, which helps bind the cookie batter together and helps the cookies develop a crispy and chewy exterior!
Ingredients Used to Make This
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Sweetened Red Bean Paste (a.k.a. Koshi An): I eat this stuff by spoonfuls! It's a versatile ingredient that goes inside my sweet rice mochi recipe as well my tofu mochi recipe, but it's also used as fillings inside sweet breads, pancakes, cookies and more. You can find Sweetened Red Bean paste in most Asian grocery stores, and online (Amazon). There are Fine and Coarse kinds (I used coarse).
you can also use the white bean variety, see below:
- Sweetened White Bean Paste (a.k.a. Shiro An)
- Tapioca Flour - The secret to making these cookies vegan (without eggs) is tapioca flour, which helps bind the cookie batter together and helps the cookies develop a crispy and chewy exterior.
- Almond Milk - milk of your choice. I used almond milk since that was what I had at home.
- Almond flour – I used storebought Almond Flour like this one
Ateco 869 Pastry Tube - French Star - Size 9
How to Make
How to Make Korean Red Bean Paste Cookies
In a clean bowl, mix sweetened red bean paste with almond milk, almond flour, and tapioca flour until smooth
Prepare a piping bag with a French Star shaped piping tip (I used Ateco 869 size 9)
Pipe small dollops of the cookie dough onto a parchment lined cookie pan
Bake and carefully remove the cookies when cool enough to handle. Enjoy!
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- Love Coffee? Just add 1-2 tsp of coffee extract (1 tsp of instant coffee granules plus 1 tsp hot water) to the bean paste batter before baking. For the mocha version, add 1 Tbsp of cocoa powder
- Add natural flavoring / extracts. You can add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I didn't feel like it was essential so I left it out in this recipe), or other flavorings or extracts, such as caramel flavoring, hazelnut extract or almond extract.
- Chocolate Chip - Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top before baking
How to Store
- You can store these cookies in an airtight container - in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze up to 4 months.
More Recipes You Will Love
Vegan Korean Red Bean Paste Cookies (Sangtugwaja)
- In a clean bowl, mix sweetened white bean paste with 1 Tbsp milk, tapioca flour and almond flour
- Mix together until smooth. Add 1 Tbsp more almond milk if batter seems too thick for piping
- Prepare a piping bag with a French Star shaped piping tip (I used Ateco 869 size 9)
- Pipe small dollops of the cookie dough onto a parchment lined cookie pan
- Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are dry.
- Carefully remove the cookies when cool enough to handle. Enjoy!