Sink your teeth into this scrumptious Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Bread loaded with a rich chocolate hazelnut spread and topped with a cocoa streusel. All the deliciousness with no eggs required!
This homemade pumpkin loaf has a super moist texture that will stay soft for days. It’s the best treat for breakfast or dessert. The cocoa streusel topping adds a delightful chocolatey crunch to this moist and flavorful bread.
Ingredients Used to Make This Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Bread
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com. They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
Pumpkin Bread Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour - You can use any brand of All-Purpose Flour. I haven't tried this recipe with whole wheat flour, oat flour or other gluten-free flour blends, so substitute at your own risk!
- Almond Flour - Almond flour contributes to a softer, more tender texture in this pumpkin bread recipe. Because it's naturally gluten-free, the almond flour helps reduce overmixing and minimizes gluten-formation in the bread.
- Salt - any kind. I used Pink Himalayan Salt
- Baking Powder - if you need to substitute, 3 tsp of baking powder is equivalent to about 1 tsp baking soda
- Sugar of choice – Darker sugars like brown sugar, coconut sugar, date, and maple sugars will give you the most flavor, but you can use any sugar you have at home. If you want a low-sugar and low carb option, I recommend this brown monk fruit sweetener.
- Pumpkin puree - I used canned pumpkin puree, which you can find in the baking aisle. I have not tried this recipe using fresh pumpkin, so substitute at your own risk!
- Light Olive Oil - I like using light olive oil since it has a neutral flavor, but you can also any cooking oil of your choice like coconut oil, or avocado oil instead
- Milk of Choice – I used unsweetened almond milk, but any milk (dairy or dairy free) works in this recipe.
Filling Ingredients (Optional)
- Chocolate Hazelnut Spread– You can use whatever chocolate hazelnut spread you have on hand, such as Nutella, but you can also use Nutiva which is has a lower sugar content than other traditional chocolate hazelnut spreads.
Cocoa Streusel Ingredients (Optional)
- all-purpose flour
- cocoa powder
- light olive oil or melted coconut oil
Step by Step Guide
How to Make Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Bread
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a standard loaf pan or line it with parchment paper for easy removal.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients
In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once. Stir gently until the batter comes together.
The batter will be thick, but if there are still dry ingredients remaining, you can add 1-2 Tbsp more almond milk.
Pour half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Spread the chocolate hazelnut spread evenly over the batter.
Add the remaining batter on top, making sure the filling is fully covered.
Sprinkle the cocoa streusel evenly over the top of the bread batter, and bake the Pumpkin Bread in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Once baked, remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with more Nutella or melted chocolate (if desired)
What are some ways you can eat Pumpkin Bread?
- Plain and warm, served with jam or butter
- Frosted with my 2-Ingredient Almond Butter Frosting , or this Healthy Powdered Peanut Butter Chocolate Frosting
- Toasted in the Air Fryer, an drizzled with honey, maple syrup, caramel or chocolate syrup
- Dusted with powdered sugar or sugar-free powdered sugar. Just make sure you use a sieve to sift the sugar on top!
Pumpkin Bread Add In Variations:
- Pumpkin bread can be wonderfully versatile, and I've gathered some add in and filling ideas here in this post to take your pumpkin bread to the next level.
How to Store Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Bread
- You can store any leftover pumpkin bread covered at room temperature for up to 24 hours. For longer storage, you can place them in a plastic freezer bag or airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze up to 4 months.
What to Do with Leftover Pumpkin Puree - See Ideas HERE
Dealing with leftover pumpkin puree can be quite frustrating! Especially since the leftover is often not enough to make a full recipe, and it seems like a waste to throw it away. Below are some pumpkin puree recipes that require only about ½ cup of pumpkin puree:
- Use batter right away after prep. The batter will deflate over time, so I've found that you don’t want the batter sitting out on the counter for too long.
- Prevent Over-browning - Depending on your oven or where your bread is placed inside the oven, the top of your bread may start to brown. Check 40 minutes into baking to see if this is the case, and gently cover the top of the bread with aluminum foil. This helps prevent excessive browning while the bread continues to bake.
- Turn them into muffins! You can also bake this in a muffin pan instead of a cake pan. To adjust, reduce the cooking time from 50-60 minutes to 30-40 minutes.
Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Crumble Topping
- 3-4 Tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread of choice like Nutella
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a standard loaf pan or line it with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, almond flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients: pumpkin puree, light olive oil, and almond milk. Stir until the mixture is smooth and fully incorporated.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir gently until you have a smooth batter. Do not overmix.
- Pour half of the pumpkin bread batter into the prepared loaf pan, spreading it evenly.
- Spoon 3-4 Tbsp of Nutella on top of the batter
- Carefully cover the Nutella filling with the remaining pumpkin bread batter, smoothing it out
- In a separate small bowl, make the cocoa streusel by combining all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and light olive oil (or melted coconut oil). Mix with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the cocoa streusel evenly over the top of the bread batter.
- Bake the Pumpkin Bread with Cocoa Streusel in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- At the last 15 minutes of baking, tent a piece of aluminum foil over the loaf pan to prevent burning the streusel during baking.
- Once baked, remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and enjoy