These Konjac Chicken Salad Sandwiches are super easy, versatile, and delicious recipe to make for any time of the day. This recipe just needs 5 ingredients, including chicken, konjac jelly, and scallions. The konjac jelly has a super low-calorie count and has an ideal chewy and firm texture to compliment the chicken salad filling in the sandwich.
Chicken salad sandwiches are the ultimate picnic and tea-time snack for me. They are so delicious and versatile that making them is almost second nature to me. And after being stuck at home for so long during the pandemic my family decided to go out for a hike and fresh air, along with a small picnic. My mom decided I should be the one to make the sandwiches. And me, being me, decided to surprise them by putting a little twist on the plain old chicken sandwich. I added KONJAC.
What is Konjac jelly? To those of you who are unfamiliar, konjac is a jelly made from a plant called Konjac. It is enriched with soluble dietary fiber known as Glucomannan, and the jelly is about 96% to 97% water. It has a super low-calorie count and has an ideal chewy and firm texture to compliment the chicken salad filling in the sandwich.
Ingredients Used to Make Konjac Chicken Salad
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Konjac - You can find Konjac blocks in most Asian grocery stores in the refrigerated section (near tofu).
- Cooked chicken breast, cubed
- Scallions / Green Onion
- Mayo - any kind. I used low fat.
- Sandwich Bread – whole wheat, gluten-free, keto sandwich bread of your choice. You can use what you have at home as the results will be similar
What is Konjac?
What is Konjac / Konnyaku jelly? Well, it is a jelly made from a plant called Konjac. It is enriched with soluble dietary fiber known as Glucomannan, and the jelly is about 96% to 97% water. It has a super low-calorie count and has an ideal chewy and firm texture to compliment both savory and sweet dishes.
How to Make
Konjac Chicken Salad Sandwich
Wash the konjac block in water, then cut into cubes
Prepare cubed chicken breast and scallions, finely chopped
Mix konjac cubes, chicken breast, scallions together with mayo of choice (full fat or low fat)
Stuff konjac chicken salad into sandwich bread
Eat as is or slice in half. Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning for more flavor
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- Instead of the scallions, you can use other crunchy veggies of choice such as chopped celery, red onions, cucumbers, carrots, etc.
- If you would like an extra kick of flavor from the mayo, add a dash of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Sometimes I also add a pinch of mustard powder to my chicken salads
- Adding a tsp of honey to the chicken salad (just a tsp and no more) is also something that makes it more delicious!
How to Make this Healthier
- Looking to lower calories? Reduce the amount of chicken you use in the recipe and use more konjac.
- Want to increase fiber? Sprinkle in a teaspoon of ground flaxseed into the filling
HOW TO MAKE THIS GLUTEN FREE
- You can make this gluten-free by using gluten-free sandwich bread like this one
How to Store
- Wrap in a plastic wrap or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Sandwiches and konjac are not suitable for freezing, so please no freezing
- Konjac has a wierd fishy smell that tends to give konjac a bad rep. To help get rid of the smell, I sometimes boil the konjac in hot water with a bit of vinegar.
You Might Also Like these Recipes
Konjac Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- 4 slices sandwich bread of choice
- 4 Tbsp mayo , any kind
- 1 cup chicken breast , cubed
- 1 block konjac block , washed
- 2 Tbsp scallions , finely chopped
- Wash the konjac block in water, then cut into cubes
- Prepare cubed chicken breast and scallions, finely chopped
- Mix konjac cubes, chicken breast, scallions together with mayo of choice (full fat or low fat)
- Stuff konjac chicken salad into sandwich bread
- Eat as is or slice in half.
- Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning for more flavor
I have 3 packets of Konnyaku cakes in my fridge, both the seaweed and plain. Can’t wait to try this!!
All Purpose Veggies says
Hope you enjoy!