Isn't June just perfect weather for finger sandwiches? Made using sliced zucchini, cream cheese and whole wheat bread, these crispy, cheesy, bite-sized snacks are perfect healthy snacks for tea and picnics you can make and share with friends and loved ones.
Spread, Layer, Slice and Repeat! June is the absolute perfect month for tea-time, picnics and most of all, FINGER SANDWICHES. And you know me, I’m all about entertaining made easy.
Here is one easy finger food idea for your upcoming Summer holidays and get-togethers! The recipe can be easily be customized to be gluten-free or vegan.
Ingredients Used to Make This
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Sandwich Bread - whole wheat, gluten-free, keto sandwich bread of your choice. Just use what you have at home and the results will be the same
- Cream cheese - any cream cheese of choice can be used here, including vegan or paleo (like this delicious herbed cashew cream cheese by The Paleo Running Momma, recipe here)
- Zucchini slices - fresh is best, but if you don't like your zucchinis raw then you can also lightly pan fry it before using
- Everything Bagel Seasoning - This is one of my favorite seasonings to sprinkle on veggies, pasta, salads and more! Made with savory ingredients like garlic and onion flakes, and nutritious sesame seeds, it's a perfect finger sandwich topping I highly recommend you use for this recipe.
How to Make
Zucchini Finger Sandwiches
Apply a layer of cream cheese on a slice of bread
Layer thin slices of zucchini on top of the cheese
Press lightly so that the zucchini slices stick and don't fall apart when handled
slice away the crust of the sandwich bread
Top with an everything bagel seasoning
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- You can use yellow squash or cucumber slices instead of zucchini
- Instead of everything bagel seasoning, try sesame seeds, red pepper flakes or even chopped fresh herbs!
- Smoked salmon is also another good finger sandwich topping (see below)
See the Video Guide! (Pinterest Link)
How to Make this Gluten Free or Vegan
- You can make this gluten-free by using gluten-free sandwich bread like this one
- Vegan cream cheese is now readily available in grocery stores! I love using cream cheese made of almond milk, like this one
How to Store
- You can store these sandwiches covered at room temperature for up to 2-3 hours. For longer storage, you can place them in a plastic freezer bag or airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Note that the longer you store them in the fridge the bread will become soggier...so it's recommended that you eat them on the day they are made
- Whipped cream cheese is recommended for easy spreading, but not required!
You Might Also Like these Recipes
Zucchini Finger Sandwiches
- 4 slices sandwich bread of choice
- 3-4 Tbsp whipped cream cheese , low fat
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 Tbsp everything bagel seasoning
- Spread whipped cream cheese on one side of the sandwich bread slice
- Top and layer with fresh zucchini slices
- With a serrated knife, cut away the crust of the sliced bread
- Slice into smaller squares or triangles
- Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning