These cauliflower & honey steamed buns are chewy, sweet, and taste amazing! Naturally gluten-free and paleo-friendly, you won't believe the main ingredients for these delicious rolls are actually almond flour, coconut flour, cauliflower rice and honey.
Ingredients Used to Make This
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Almond flour – I used blanched almond flour
- Coconut flour – Coconut flour does not substitute well, and that’s why I don’t recommend swapping coconut flour with other ingredients. If you absolutely had to, 2 Tbsp coconut flour = ½ cup almond flour. Unfortunately, you probably won’t get the same texture or mouthfeel as the original recipe.
- Tapioca flour (or tapioca starch). Arrowroot starch and Potato starch can be used instead.
- Eggs – I used regular large eggs
- Salt – I used Pink Himalayan salt, but you can use any kind for this recipe. Since I use only a small amount, the conversion (between kosher and fine salt, for example) isn’t necessary.
- Honey – You can also use maple syrup, or any granulated sugar of your choice such as coconut, maple or date sugars.
- Cauliflower rice – they’re sold in the frozen vegetable aisle, but you can make your own by pulsing cauliflower a few times in the food processor.
More Cauliflower Recipes (HERE)
How to Make
Cauliflower & Honey Steamed Buns
Mix all ingredients together
Roll dough into balls, place on steamer paper / prepared steamer
Steam for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
Let cool, and enjoy!
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
• Make it savory! Reduce honey to 1 Tbsp, then add some herbs, scallions or chopped veggies. You can also add ½ tsp of onion powder to make the rolls extra savory and flavorful.
What are some ways you can eat these?
- Plain, warm
- Served with honey, jam or adzuki bean paste
How to Store
Store these buns covered at room temperature for up to 24 hours. For longer storage, you can place them in the fridge for up to a week or freeze up to 4 months. Defrost at room temperature.
- Thaw cauliflower rice before using.
- Steaming time might vary slightly based on how thin or wide you make your rolls. Steam until a toothpick comes out clean/dry when poked into the middle of the rolls.
More Bread Recipes (HERE)
Cauliflower & Honey Steamed Buns (Gluten Free, Paleo)
- ½ cup frozen cauliflower rice thawed
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup honey or sweetener of choice*
- Mix all dry ingredients together and then add the wet. Stir until well combined. Depending on how wet your cauliflower rice is, you may have to add additional 1-2 Tbsp of coconut flour to be able to shape the dough.
- Boil water and prepare the steamer
- Drop large spoonfuls of the batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet or steamer paper. You can also shape them into rolls if you want.
- Steam the rolls for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the rolls comes out clean.