Here’s a sweet, chewy, coconutty treat that takes only 5 minutes to make! These Probiotic Coconut Protein Balls are creamy and tangy thanks to the addition of coconut yogurt and probiotic capsules. It’s perfect for those who want to improve their digestion and help support a healthy gut.
There are so many benefits to taking probiotics, such as healthy digestion, boosting immunity and supporting healthy weight management, but I personally find it difficult to consume enough probiotics on a regular basis. That’s why I’ve been trying to come up with new ways I could use yogurt, one of the best sources of probiotics.
Probiotic Coconut Protein Balls are what I make to satisfy both my need to eat more probiotics and my craving for coconut treats. Made with protein powder, coconut flour, coconut yogurt and an extra boost of probiotics from Probiotic Capsules, it’s what I eat to get enough probiotics in my diet.
Ingredients used to make this
**I’ve linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Protein Powder – You can use any protein powder for this, but I found that whey protein tends to produce gummier results. I used a vanilla plant-based protein powder, like this one below.
- Coconut Flour – Packed with fiber and nutrients, you can’t forget about this gluten-free, wheat free and grain-free ingredient. Coconut flour is great for those allergic to gluten and wanting a low-carb option. While it’s called coco-nut it’s actually nut-free because this flour is made from coconut flesh (which is a fruit, not a nut) that’s been dried and then grind into small flour particles. Coconut flour feels and looks similar to grain flour, and also it has a very mild taste. Here’s the Coconut Flour I like to use.
- Coconut Yogurt – if you don’t have coconut yogurt at home you can also use regular yogurt or yogurt made from almond milk. They all turn out delicious.
- Desiccated Coconut – for texture
- (optional) Probiotic Capsule – If you want an extra probiotic boost, you can add a daily serving (typically 1 or 2 pills) of probiotic supplements into the dough itself! I first thought it would be wierd, too, but the addition is barely noticeable since it tastes very much like yogurt. You can find probiotic supplements in most grocery stores and pharmacies, sometimes in the refridgerated section. Any brand/strength works, but please be sure to buy them in CAPSULE form, since you’ll need to break open the capsule and use only the contents inside. I used this probiotic brand.
How to Make
Probiotic Coconut Protein Balls
Mix the protein powder, coconut flour, coconut yogurt and coconut pieces together in a small bowl. Carefully open the probiotic capsule and empty the contents into the bowl and mix well. Note: I find that it’s best to use my hands to mix the dough because it takes some kneading and pressing to get the dough to come together.
Roll the batter into tablespoon-sized balls, then roll into desiccated coconut.
refrigerate for 15 minutes to set. Enjoy!
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- If you don’t have coconut milk yogurt, you can use almond milk yogurt or soy milk yogurt instead.
- Feel free to experiment with natural flavoring / extracts. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I didn’t feel like it was essential so I left it out in this recipe), or other flavorings or extracts, such as lemon or coconut extract.
- Add mini chocolate chips – it makes this taste like chocolate-coconut bars!
How to Make this Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, seeds and old-fashioned oats to add texture and nutrition. Even better, add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed, hemp seeds, or chia seeds.
How to Store
- Store these protein balls covered in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
- Coconut flour and protein powders are all very different depending on brands, so if you find that the dough is too soft, add more coconut flour; if the dough is too thick, add a teaspoon or more of water, honey or liquid sweetener of choice.
More Energy Bite Recipes
Probiotic Coconut Protein Balls
- 2 Tbsp vanilla protein powder*
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 3 Tbsp coconut yogurt**
- 1 Tbsp shredded coconut***
- 1-2 probiotic capsules (OPTIONAL) , or a daily serving
- 2 Tbsp desicatted coconut
- Mix protein powder, coconut flour, coconut yogurt and coconut pieces togeher in a small bowl. Carefully open the probiotic capsule and empty the contents into the bowl and mix well.
- Add more coconut flour if the dough is too soft, add a teaspoon or more of yogurt if the dough is too thick****
- Roll the batter into tablespoon sized balls, then roll them into desicaated coconut.
- refrigerate for 15 minutes to set
These were so delicious! So glad I came across this recipe today. Thank you!
All Purpose Veggies says
Hi Angelina, thanks so much for coming back to leave a review. I’m glad you enjoyed it!