Here’s a fun, healthier take on the original Ferrero Rocher chocolates we all love! Made with just 5 ingredients, this version has a nice helping of protein, nutrients and fiber. It’s easily one of my favorite guilt-free snacks of this year. Read on to see how they’re made!
I love recipes that are both easy and good-for-you. That’s why I love recipes like this one, where it’s
- only 5 ingredients
- and chocolatey!
Ingredients used to make this
**I’ve linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Protein Powder – I used this chocolate protein powder but you can also use vanilla or other plant-based protein powder.
- Nut Butter – While you can use any nut butters for this recipe, I used plain hazelnut butter because I wanted to deliver the rich hazelnut flavor of the Ferrero Rocher chocolates. Just use any you have at home. You can use almond butter like this one. Other natural nut butters I’d recommend are pecan butter, walnut butter, cashew butter, mixed nut butter, or even seed butter like sunflower. So many choices!
- Cocoa Powder – regular or dark
- Honey – I used honey for this recipe but you can use other liquid sweeteners of choice like maple syrup, agave syrup, or liquid stevia which are vegan-friendly.
- Chopped Nuts – You can make this at home by chopping almonds/peanuts/walnuts on your own, but they’re sold pre-chopped in the baking aisle (if not, next to the ice cream). You can also buy them online, here
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- Want this to be Coffee or mocha flavored? Add either a teaspoon of coffee extract or espresso powder.
- Feel free to experiment with natural flavoring / extracts. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I didn’t feel like it was essential so I left it out in this recipe), or other flavorings or extracts, such as hazelnut extract or peppermint extract.
- Instead of hazelnut butter you can also use pecan butter, walnut butter, cashew butter, mixed nut butter, or seed butter like sunflower or pumpkin seed butter.
- You can also try using nutella instead of the nut butter 🙂
More Chocolate Recipes
How to Make this Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, seeds and old-fashioned oats to add texture and nutrition.
- Want to increase fiber? Add a Tablespoon of ground flaxseed or coconut flour.
- You can also reduce the sweetener by half (to make this less sweet), or substitute the sugar with a sugar-free substitute.
How to Store
- You can store these protein balls covered at room temperature for up to 48 hours. For longer storage, you can place them in the fridge for up to 7 days, or freeze up to 4 months.
- Be sure to use a microwave-safe bowl (preferably glass, like this one) when you’re heating the nut butter
- Use batter right away after prep. Once it cools it’ll be more difficult to roll into balls.
More Energy Bite Recipes
5 Ingredient “Ferrero Rocher” Protein Balls
- 1/4 cup Hazelnut or Almond butter (64g)
- 1 scoop Protein Powder of Choice
- 1 T Cocoa Powder
- 1-2 Tbsp Liquid Sweetener of Choice*
- 1/4 cup Chopped Nuts
- Heat the nut butter in a microwave-safe glass bowl for about 30 seconds until softened. Add the protein powder, cocoa powder, and liquid sweetener of choice into the bowl and mix well. Add more sweetener if the dough is too thick; add more protein powder if the dough is too soft.
- Roll the dough into 4-5 balls
- Coat the balls in honey (or any liquid sweetener of choice such as stevia) and roll them in the chopped nuts mixture
- Let sit in the fridge for at least 5 minutes before enjoying