Nothing says I love you more than chocolates, am I right? There’s so much to love about these fudgy and chocolatey mini heart-shaped energy bites that are made with chocolate hazelnut spread and chocolate protein powder!
These 4-ingredient energy bites are high in protein and are so easy to make. No baking, no extra work in the kitchen. All you have to do to make these cute little hearts is cut them out of the finished dough. Seriously, it’ll only take 5-10 minutes of your time. Suitable for a gluten-free, dairy free, plant-based and a low carb diet 🙂
What I love about this recipe
- Easy to make (only 4 ingredients!)
- Full of fiber and nutritious!
- Takes less than 5 minutes to make and eat
Ingredients used to make this
**I’ve linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Protein Powder – You can use any protein powder for this. I used a plant-based chocolate protein powder.
- Coconut Flour – you can use any brand of coconut flour for this recipe.
- Chocolate Hazelnut Spread– I used Nutiva, the dark chocolate hazelnut spread, but Nutella is also great
- Almond Milk – or milk of choice. Water works, too
How to Make
Protein Chocolate Hearts
Mix all ingredients together. I find that it’s best to use my hands to mix the dough because it takes some kneading and pressing to get the dough to come together. Add more coconut flour if the dough is too soft, add a teaspoon or more of water or milk of choice if the dough is too thick
Press into a 3/4-inch thick mound
Use a mini cookie or vegetable cutter to cut out shapes
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- Add natural flavoring / extracts. You can add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I didn’t feel like it was essential so I left it out in this recipe), or other flavorings or extracts, such as caramel flavoring, hazelnut extract or almond extract.
- Coat these in melted white chocolate to turn these into truffles
- Love coffee or mocha? Add either a teaspoon of coffee extract or espresso powder to the batter
- Add up to 1 tsp of Cinnamon powder, Cardamom or Chai Tea Powder.
How to Make this Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, seeds and old-fashioned oats to add texture and nutrition. Even better, add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed, hemp seeds, or chia seeds.
How to Store
- Store these protein balls covered in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
- Coconut flour and protein powders are all very different depending on brands, so if you find that the dough is too soft, add more coconut flour; if the dough is too thick, add a teaspoon or more of water, honey or liquid sweetener of choice.
More Energy Bite Recipes
Protein Chocolate Hearts
- 2 Tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread of choice
- 2 Tbsp chocolate protein powder note*
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp almond milik
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. (read note**)
- Add more coconut flour if the dough is too soft, add a teaspoon or more of water or milk of choice if the dough is too thick
- Press the dough into 3/4-inch mounds, then use a mini cookie or vegetable cutter to cut out shapes
- refrigerate 15 minutes to help set
Leave a Reply