It's everyone's favorite campfire treat that's in a healthy, energy-packed form. Made with crushed graham cookies, vanilla protein powder, mini marshmallows and a dollop of Nutella, these delicious Nutella s'mores protein balls can be assembled in mere minutes, with no mess and no campfire needed!
Ingredients used to make this
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Protein Powder - You can use any protein powder for this, but I found that whey protein tends to produce gummier results. I used a vanilla plant-based protein powder, like this one below.
- Graham Crackers / Cookies – I used Teddy Grahams Honey Graham Snacks (because they’re cute), but you can use any graham crackers to make this.
- Coconut Flour – Packed with fiber and nutrients, you can’t forget about this gluten-free, wheat free and grain-free ingredient. Coconut flour is great for those allergic to gluten and wanting a low-carb option. While it’s called coco-nut it’s actually nut-free because this flour is made from coconut flesh (which is a fruit, not a nut) that’s been dried and then grind into small flour particles. Coconut flour feels and looks similar to grain flour, and also it has a very mild taste. Here is a brand of coconut flour I like to use.
- Chocolate Hazelnut Spread– You can use whatever chocolate hazelnut spread you have on hand, I used Nutella in this recipe but you can also use Nutiva which is organic, and has a lower sugar content
- Chocolate Chips - you can use any chocolate chips in this recipe. I like this lower sugar, stevia-sweetened brand
How to Make
Nutella S'Mores Protein Balls
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl
Roll the batter into tablespoon-sized balls, refrigerate for 15 minutes to set. Note: I find that it's best to use my hands to mix the dough because it takes some kneading and pressing to get the dough to come together.
Coat with melted chocolate, sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Enjoy!
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- Cinnamon Graham Cracker Protein Balls – add ½ tsp of cinnamon powder
- Double Chocolate Chip Graham Protein Balls – add 2 Tbsps of mini chocolate chips
- Feel free to experiment with natural flavoring / extracts. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I didn't feel like it was essential so I left it out in this recipe), or other flavorings or extracts, such as lemon extract or raspberry extract
How to Make this Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, seeds and old-fashioned oats to add texture and nutrition. Even better, add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed, hemp seeds, or chia seeds.
How to Store
- Store these protein balls covered in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
- Coconut flour and protein powders are all very different depending on brands, so if you find that the dough is too soft, add more coconut flour; if the dough is too thick, add a teaspoon or more of water, honey or liquid sweetener of choice.
More Energy Bite Recipes
Graham & Almond Butter Protein Balls
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Mix all ingredients together. Add more coconut flour if the dough is too soft, add a teaspoon or more of water, or almond milk if the dough is too thick**
- Roll the batter into tablespoon sized balls, refrigerate for 15 minutes to set
- Optional: melt 2 Tablespoons of chocolate chips and drizzle over the protein balls, and sprinkle with almond pieces and graham cookies