Looking for new ways to enjoy mochi? Nowadays there are many varieties of mochi that come with different flavors, colors and filings. The sticky sweet rice dough is a perfect canvas for both savory and sweet add ins. Plus, you can also easily switch up its flavors and colors with mashed fruits, powders, or food coloring.
While the most popular types of mochi fillings are bean-based, such as sweetened red bean paste, white bean paste (shiro an) and mung bean paste - there are tons of different and unique types of mochi fillings that can be used to make healthy and delicious mochi. Here are 10+ different mochi fillings ideas to get you started.
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
1. The Classic: Sweetened Red Bean Paste
Sweetened Red Bean Paste (a.k.a. Koshi An) is a classic filling that goes inside East Asian desserts. Red Bean Paste is essentially Asian red beans that's been cooked with sugar until it becomes a sweet and thick paste. Not only is it used for mochi, it's a versatile ingredient that can be stuffed inside sweet breads, pancakes, cookies and more.
I usually purchase my red bean paste from my local Asian grocery store, but you can also buy them on Amazon, here
- How to Buy: Koshi An (Amazon)
- How to Make: Here's how you can make Sweet Red Bean Paste Under 20 Minutes Using the Blender! For a more traditional method, I recommend this recipe by Just One Cookbook, as well as a Pressure Cooker Bean Paste Recipe by Chopstick Chronicles
2. Sweetened White Bean Paste (a.k.a Shiro An)
Fudgy and sweet, white bean paste is a perfect filling for mooncakes. It’s a hugely popular ingredient in East Asia and widely used in Asian confectionary and desserts like mochi, sweetbreads, cookies as well as mooncakes. Unfortunately, it’s not always stocked in most Asian grocery stores. Here’s one brand you can purchase on Amazon (here).
- How to Buy: Shiro An (Amazon)
- How to Make: Here’s a Shortcut White Bean Paste Recipe I make when I’ve run out of Shiro An
Creamy and sweet, custard is another yet popular filling option for the soft and chewy mochi. Custard isn’t too difficult to make from scratch using eggs and milk, but you can make your own from custard powder, or use vanilla pudding instead. As for me, I used a shortcut method that uses the microwave to heat the egg and milk mixture.
- How to Make: Microwave Vanilla Custard Filling Easy, Low Calorie Recipe). For a vegan custard recipe, try this Almond Milk Custard Recipe!
- Here's another delicious variation - pistachio custard - below!
4. Black Sesame Paste
Nutty and sweet, black sesame is a delicious filling that can be used in many different types of desserts and snacks, including mochi and mooncakes. It’s also a healthy and nutritious ingredient because of its high calcium content and antioxidants and is also an excellent source of protein, calcium, iron, zinc, vitamin E and B6. Try making your own black sesame filling for your next mochi filling!
5. Pumpkin Spice Mochi FIlling
This spicy and sweet pumpkin spice mochi filling is so easy to make and bursting with all the best flavors of fall! It only requires 3 ingredients: pumpkin puree, sweet white bean paste, and pumpkin spice. It pairs perfectly with this pumpkin mochi recipe below.
- How to Make: Here’s my recipe for the Easy Pumpkin Spice Mochi Filling
6. Almond Paste
If you don’t know what Almond paste is, you’ll love it by the time you try them with mochi!
Almond paste is a sweet, chewy and delicious ingredient that is made from blanched almonds, sugar, and water. It can be used for many purposes, such as filling for cookies or as a stuffing for other baked goods. It is commonly found in the baking aisle of most grocery stores. It’s usually sold in small boxed packages, but it can also come packaged in tubes.
- How to Make: almond paste filling recipe here
7. Fresh Fruit
From fresh strawberries, and mandarin oranges to bananas, you can fill your mochi with fresh fruit that's been wrapped with sweetened bean paste.
8. Ice Cream
Mochi ice cream has to be one of the most popular mochi fillings today. If you make the mochi ice cream from home, you can choose any type or flavor of ice cream you want. Can't do dairy? Go for an oat-milk ice cream filling. Want low fat? Try frozen yogurt. If vanilla isn't your favorite, you can use other ice cream flavors, too, like chocolate, green tea, strawberry, or even cookies and cream.
Here are some mochi ice cream recipes below!
- Healthier Sweet Potato Mochi Ice Cream
- Strawberry Mochi Ice Cream
- Vegan Blueberry Mochi Ice Cream
- Applesauce Green Tea Mochi Ice Cream
- Banana Chocolate Mochi Ice Cream
- Homemade Black Sesame Mochi Ice Cream
9. Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (Nutella)
Are you looking for a simple but oh-so-decadent mochi filling recipe that doesn't take any prep? Look no further than chocolate hazelnut spread! The soft and creamy chocolate hazelnut center is perfect with the soft and chewy mochi. I love pairing mine with this 3-ingredient raspberry mochi (recipe link).
- How to Buy : Nutella is available in most grocery stores and also online. For a vegan friendly, lower sugar chocolate hazelnut spread, I recommend Nutiva
If you love biting into a dessert and finding the surprise of a soft and creamy cheesecake filling, here’s a basic, easy cheesecake filling recipe that you can use to enhance your favorite mochi (or mooncake) recipe!
- How to Make: Here’s the recipe for a Easy Cheesecake Filling. If you’re looking for a vegan version, go to this post here.
11. Oreo Cream Cheese Filling
Get ready for a taste explosion with Oreo cream cheese as a mochi filling! The combination of creamy, tangy cream cheese and chocolaty Oreo cookies creates a heavenly filling that's rich in flavor and texture.
- How to Make: Mix softened or whipped cream cheese with crushed oreo cookies and sweeten to taste using any sugar of choice
12. Coffee Bean Paste
Coffee Bean Paste is a delicious twist on the sweet white bean paste that you can make at home! Sweet, bitter and rich, this smooth coffee-flavored paste is made of sweetened white beans and coffee extract. Coffee lovers are sure to love this versatile recipe — it can be used for spreads, stuffings, and mochi filling.
- How to Make: Here’s my recipe for the 2-Ingredient Coffee Bean Paste (커피앙금) for Spreads and Mochi Filling
13. Cream Cheese
Cream cheese with mochi? It sounds strange but it works with this savory sweet corn mochi. This Savory Sweet Corn Mochi recipe combines the classic flavors of sweet corn, mochi, and cheese into a delectable treat. The combination of chewy mochi with the sweet corn and savory cream cheese filling creates an addicting sensory experience that is sure to satisfy both your sweet and savory tooth.
- How to Buy: The beauty of this filling idea is that you can choose any cream cheese you like. Today there are dozen varieties of cream cheese, from strawberry flavored cream cheese to savory kinds like spicy jalapeño. There’s also lactose free cream cheese like one from Green Valley, to vegan cream cheese that’s made from soy (Tofutti) to almond milk based products like (Kite Hill Cream Cheese). For lower carb, lower calorie options you can use low fat cheese like Laughing Cow cream cheese, or this Greek yogurt cream cheese.
14. Dulce de Leche
Indulge in the rich and luscious flavors of Dulce de Leche as a mochi filling that will tantalize your taste buds! Made from sweetened condensed milk, Dulce de Leche has a rich, caramel like flavor that makes a velvety mochi filling that is simply irresistible.
- How to Buy: Dulce de Leche can typically be found in the baking or international foods section of most grocery stores, or it can also be purchased online here
15. Savory Meat Filling
Who says mochi has to be sweet? Here's a savory twist with a vegan-friendly Impossible Ground Meat Filling (made from plant-based "meat"). The soft and chewy mochi exterior goes surprisingly well with the juicy burst of seasoned meat inside. Whether you enjoy sweet or savory treats, this ground meat filling for mochi is a must-try for those seeking new and exciting flavors.
[BONUS] 16. Chocolate-Covered Mochi
Not really a filling, no, but here's yet another way to serve mochi. Cover it with chocolate! You'll love this indulgent combination of the soft and chewy strawberry mochi covered with a smooth and sweet chocolate shell. It's a perfect blend of textures and flavors that will leave you wanting more!
Need More Ideas? Check out --> Part 2: Healthier Mochi Filling Ideas
The Ultimate List of Mochi Fillings Ideas & Recipes
- 1 SWEET RED BEAN PASTE FILLING*
- 1 SWEET WHITE BEAN PASTE FILLING** click on the link to go to the recipe
- 1 BLACK SESAME FILLING click on the link to go to the recipe
- 1 COFFEE BEAN PASTE click on the link to go to the recipe
- 1 ALMOND PASTE FILLING*** click on the link to go to the recipe
- 1 STRAWBERRY FILLING click on the link to go to the recipe
- 1 ICE CREAM FILLING click on the link to go to the recipe
- 1 CHEESECAKE FILLING click on the link to go to the recipe
- 1 OREO CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 1 DULCE DE LECHE FILLING click on the link to go to shop
- The list of fillings above in the ingredients list is actually the recipe link to the fillings! Click to get to the recipe pages.