You won’t believe how easy you can have healthy chocolate chip cookie dough for your cookie dough craving! This recipe only takes minutes to make as it’s prepared in the food processor. It’s also flourless, gluten-free, vegan and provides a good source of fiber.
Ingredients Used to Make This
**I’ve linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Chickpeas (aka Garbanzo Beans) – Rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals such as folate, iron, phosphorous, chickpeas have a satisfying nutty flavor and great additions to a healthy diet. I used canned chickpeas but you can also use chickpeas you’ve cooked yourself.
- Almond flour – I used blanched almond flour. But you can also make your own by blending raw or blanched, slivered almonds in the food processor and sifting them through a sieve.
- Almond Butter – like this one. You can also use other natural nut butters like pecan butter, walnut butter, cashew butter, mixed nut butter, or even seed butter like sunflower. So many choices!
- Maple Syrup or Honey – I used honey for this recipe but you can use other liquid sweeteners of choice like maple syrup, agave syrup, or liquid stevia that would make this vegan-friendly.
- Chocolate Chips
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough CheesecakeSee Recipe
- Turn this into a cheesecake recipe! Click recipe link above
- There are so many add in options. Add some nuts, dried fruits or different types of chocolate chips to keep this cookie dough interesting.
- Double Chocolate Chip cookie dough! Just add 2 Tbsp of cocoa powder when folding in the chocolate chips to the batter.
- Coffee or mocha? Add either a teaspoon of coffee extract or espresso powder.
- Chai or Cardamom? Add 1 tsp of Cardamom or Chai Tea Powder.
- Add natural flavoring / extracts. You can add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I didn’t feel like it was essential so I left it out in this recipe), or other flavorings or extracts, such as caramel flavoring, hazelnut extract or almond extract.
- Feel free to experiment on using different nut butters. Instead of almond butter you can also use pecan butter, walnut butter, cashew butter, mixed nut butter, or seed butter like sunflower or pumpkin seed butter.
- You can also use other canned beans such as white beans or even lentils
How to Make this Healthier
- Add antioxidants: Did you know that cinnamon, matcha and turmeric are all good sources of antioxidants? Add a teaspoon or two of some of these superfood powders to make this recipe even better!
- Increase fiber: Add a Tablespoon of ground flaxseed or coconut flour.. Add a handful of nuts, seeds and old-fashioned oats to add texture and nutrition to the cake.
- For a protein boost, you can also add 1 scoop of protein powder of your choice. I’ve tried using an unsweetened plant-based protein powder. You can also use chocolate protein powder
- Reduce sugar: You can also reduce the sugar by half (to make this less sweet), or replace it altogether with a sugar-free substitute.
What are some ways you can eat these?
- With a spoon
- Stuffed inside mochi (post coming soon!)
- Choco chip cookie dough truffles! Just roll into balls and cover with melted chocolate, or eat as is. You can also make them fancy, like how I did with these Healthy-ferrero-rocher-protein-balls
How to Store
- You can store this cookie dough in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze up to 4 months.
- Be sure to wash and rinse the canned chickpeas before using, to reduce the salt. You can also use homecooked chickpeas. Just be sure to cook them until plenty tender.
- While a food processor will give you the best results, you can also use a high-powered blender (such as Vitamix) that comes with a tamper. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades of the blender to ensure the best consistency.
You Might Also Like these Chickpea Recipes
No-Bake Chickpea Cookie Dough (Just 5 ingredients!)
- Blend all ingredients (except the chocolate chips) together in a food processor or a high-powered blender**
- Make sure to scrape the sides of the container between pulses to ensure the best consistency.