I’m wishing for Snow on Christmas Day with these healthy Broccoli and Oatmeal waffle smothered in parmesan cheese! Delicious and easy, this waffle recipe that’s prepared under 5 minutes in the food processor, savory and perfect for picky eaters. It’s also gluten-free, nut-free and high in plant fiber!
Ingredients used to make this
**I’ve linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Broccoli – part of the Cruciferous vegetable family, broccoli is an essential ingredient to a healthy diet. I used frozen broccoli florets for this recipe, but you can also use fresh.
- Oatmeal – Oatmeal acts as a binder in this recipe. Plus it adds a satisfying chew! You can use old-fashioned (rolled) or quick-cooking oats, but I wouldn’t recommend using steel cut for this recipe. If you want to keep this strictly gluten-free (some oats are produced in the same facility as wheat), be sure to buy the one with the GF label like this one.
- Eggs – I used regular large eggs. I haven’t tried using egg replacements like flax or chia yet, so you might not get the same results if you decide to substitute.
- Salt – Pink Himalayan salt is what I have at home, so it’s what I use, but you can use any kind for this recipe.
- Honey – I used honey for this recipe but you can use other liquid sweeteners of choice like maple syrup, agave syrup, or liquid stevia
- Apple Cider Vinegar – lemon juice also works if you don’t have apple cider vinegar
- Olive Oil – Instead of olive oil, you can use coconut oil, or avocado oil here if you’d like.
For the Topping I used
- Unsweetened Greek Yogurt – but you can also use regular yogurt, sour cream or cottage cheese
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – like this one
- Parsley Flakes – for decoration. Like this one
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- You don’t have to keep this plain. Feel free to add some nuts, dried herbs or spices to keep this cake interesting. You can also add crumbled feta cheese, or shredded mozzarella cheese into the batter.
How to Make this Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a tablespoon of nuts, seeds into the batter to add texture and nutrition.
- Did you know that dried herbs like oregano, parsley and basil are all good sources of antioxidants? Add a teaspoon of these superfood herbs to make this recipe even better!
- You can also reduce the sugar by half (this would make this less sweet), or substitute the sugar with a sugar-free substitute.
How to Store
- It’s best to eat these waffles immediately and within 2-3 hours, but you can also store them covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes after prep so that the oatmeal has time to absorb the liquid. This results in a softer textured waffle
You Might Also Like these Breakfast Recipes
Check Out My Recent Posts!
- Healthy Cinnamon Roll Icing & Frosting (Over 20 Customization Ideas!)
- The Fun Breakfast Bagel! Cornbread Bagels Stuffed With Cream Cheese
- How To Make Stuffed Cranberry Bagels With Canned Cranberry Sauce
Let it Snow Parmesan Broccoli & Oatmeal Waffle (Flourless and Made in the blender!)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Greek yogurt, dairy-free yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp parsley flakes optional
- Blend all ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes for the oats to absorb all the liquid.
- Preheat Waffle Iron
- Pour onto a lightly oiled waffle maker (or frying pan) and cook until golden.
- Once cooked and cooled, spoon and apply a thin layer of greek yogurt on the top of the waffles
- Cover the waffle with parmesan cheese over the greek yogurt "frosting"
- Sprinkle with parsley flakes
** I’ve used coconut sugar and honey with good results. If you want your waffles to be on the slightly sweeter side, use 2 Tbsp.