Presenting an applesauce & matcha protein bar recipe that's nut-free and all plant-based. The applesauce and matcha pair perfectly together in this recipe, and the additional white chocolate covering makes it taste like a delicious candy bar. It's a wonderful option to have for a dessert or snack. One of the main reasons to enjoy them is because they are very nutrient-dense, so you can easily satisfy your sweet tooth and get your daily intake of protein.
Here's why I love this recipe
- easy to prepare
- only 6 ingredients
- low calories
Ingredients used to make Applesauce Matcha Protein Bars
**I've linked some of these ingredients to amazon.com to give you an idea of what they are, but you should also be able to find them in your local grocery store (usually, the natural & organic food section). They are also affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission as an Amazon Associate if you decide to purchase the items. The price will be the same for you, link or no link 🙂
- Applesauce – preferably unsweetened, like this one
- Protein Powder – You can use any protein powder for this, but I found that whey protein tends to produce gummier results. My go-to protein powder is a vanilla plant-based protein powder, like this one below.
- Coconut Flour - you can use any brand of coconut flour for this recipe. Here is a brand of coconut flour I like to use.
- Matcha Powder – preferably ceremonial grade matcha powder for the best color, but any kind works. Sold in Asian grocery stores, or online, below:
- White Chocolate Chips - any kind.
More Applesauce Recipes
How to Make
Easy Homemade Applesauce Matcha Protein Bars
Mix together all ingredients minus the chocolate chips- I find that it’s best to use my hands to mix the dough because it takes some kneading and pressing to get the dough to come together.
The color will depend on the matcha powder you use
Mold the dough into a rectangular shape, wrap in plastic wrap or an airtight container, and let the dough set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Slice into bars
Coat in melted white chocolate
Recipe Variations and Optional Add Ins:
- Feel free to experiment with natural flavoring / extracts. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (I didn't feel like it was essential so I left it out in this recipe), or other flavorings or extracts, such as lemon extract or cream cheese extract.
How to Make this Healthier
- Make this even healthier by adding a handful of nuts, seeds and old-fashioned oats to add texture and nutrition. Even better, add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed, hemp seeds, or chia seeds.
What can you do with leftover melted chocolate?
One of my favorite ways to use leftover melted chocolate is to stir in some seeds or chopped nuts, then drop into parchment paper. These seed/nut clusters are delicious, crunchy and one of the easiest snacks to make ever!
How to Store Applesauce Matcha Protein Bars
- Store these protein bars covered in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
More Protein Bar Recipes (HERE)
- Coconut flour and protein powders are all very different depending on brands, so if you find that the dough is too soft, add more coconut flour; if the dough is too thick, add a teaspoon or more of water, honey or liquid sweetener of choice.
Homemade Applesauce Matcha Protein Bars Recipe
- ½ cup vanilla protein powder*
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 6 Tbsp applesauce
- 1 Tbsp almond milk or water
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Mix the protein powder, coconut flour, applesauce and matcha powder into a bowl and mix well. Add almond milk to control the consistency of the dough.
- Add more coconut flour if the dough is too soft, add a teaspoon or more of water, honey or liquid sweetener of choice if the dough is too thick*
- Shape dough into a rectangular mound, then wrap in plastic wrap or an airtight container, and let the dough set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice into bars.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 20 second bursts until melted, stirring in between.
- Dip the protein bar into the melted chocolate and then set it aside on a clean parchment paper. Drizzle with more chocoalte if desired.
- Let the chocolate set before enjoying
Leave a Reply